POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : A box of oranges (valencian, of course) : Re: A box of oranges (valencian, of course) Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:32:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A box of oranges (valencian, of course)
From: clipka
Date: 20 Sep 2012 20:09:12
Message: <505bb028@news.povray.org>
Am 21.09.2012 00:47, schrieb Alain:

>>> Very nice... except that ripe Valencia oranges are actualy green. They
>>> start green, turn orange, then turn back to a particular dark green once
>>> fully rippened. They are dyed orange before been sold.
>>

>> Please share your sources, everything what Jaime and I thought we knew
>> about the
>> oranges is having grown up and lived in a place that produces oranges
>> (and some
>> rice), and is the first time I hear of that paint to sell oranges. The
>> truth is
>> that oranges are "polish" and cleaned after collection to look more
>> appealing,
>> but not "paint" anything.
>
> Not all oranges rippen the same way, or in the same time. Some go from
> flowers to ripe fruit in less than a year, other can take up to 3 to 5
> years... Some orange trees can have flowers, unripe fruits and ripe
> fruits at the same time.
>
> No paint, orange DYE.

They are neither painted nor dyed, but rather treated with ethylene gas,
which triggers the natural change in color that would usually accompany
the ripening of the fruit in favorable weather conditions; this works
because ethylene is a natural hormone in plants that, among others,
regulates ripening of fruit.