POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : A box of oranges (valencian, of course) : Re: A box of oranges (valencian, of course) Server Time
30 Jul 2024 14:27:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A box of oranges (valencian, of course)
From: Alain
Date: 20 Sep 2012 18:47:22
Message: <505b9cfa$1@news.povray.org>

>> Very nice... except that ripe Valencia oranges are actualy green. They
>> start green, turn orange, then turn back to a particular dark green once
>> fully rippened. They are dyed orange before been sold.
>

> Please share your sources, everything what Jaime and I thought we knew about the
> oranges is having grown up and lived in a place that produces oranges (and some
> rice), and is the first time I hear of that paint to sell oranges. The truth is
> that oranges are "polish" and cleaned after collection to look more appealing,
> but not "paint" anything.

Not all oranges rippen the same way, or in the same time. Some go from
flowers to ripe fruit in less than a year, other can take up to 3 to 5
years... Some orange trees can have flowers, unripe fruits and ripe
fruits at the same time.

No paint, orange DYE.
If you scratch the surface or a real valencia orange, you may find some
green. That green rarely go deeper than 1mm. Under that, you have white
peel, then orange flesh.

I've seen some photos of valencia oranges, in the tree, at various
rippening stages (flowers, small fruit, large somewhat light green
fruits, unripe orange fruits and dark green ripe fruits) a few years
ago. I can't find those right now.

> Although I think the dark green pigment referred, with white spots and a
> characteristic odor of overripe fruit is usually indicative of an orange that
> has ceased to offer certain health guarantees.
Dark green, without any white or gray spot, similar to that of a ripe lime.