POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Limbo : Re: Limbo Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:24:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Limbo
From: Francois Labreque
Date: 20 Sep 2012 09:41:07
Message: <505b1cf3$1@news.povray.org>
Le 2012-09-20 04:15, Orchid Win7 v1 a écrit :
> On 20/09/2012 09:11 AM, scott wrote:
>> It's not what you know it's who you know :-)
>
> On the one hand, I've only ever had one job - and that's because my dad
> worked there.

Proof that networking works!  You got your first job because of your
connections.

> On the other hand, I know people who work at the OU, and yet I can't get
> a job at the OU. I know somebody who works for Network Rail, and yet I
> can't get a job at Network Rail. Hell, I know a guy who works at Google,
> and I can't get them to hire me either. (Although, amazingly, I did get
> an interview...)
>
> You see what I'm saying? Just knowing somebody who works at company X
> doesn't seem to help you actually get in there. (Unless the company is
> the kind of hopelessly unprofessional place like where I left just...)

You rarely win the lotto with your first ticket.

> In short, I know a tiny handful of people, but I'm not sure how to /use/
> that to get hired.

As I've said before... you take dance classes.  Ask the people in your
class if they have openings at their workplace.  Even if they're
marketing assistants or dentists, they may know that their IT dept. is
looking for people.