POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Limbo : Re: Limbo Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:18:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Limbo
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 20 Sep 2012 03:37:09
Message: <505ac7a5$1@news.povray.org>
On 20/09/2012 08:22 AM, scott wrote:
> I think it took about an hour *per job* when I was applying - you can't
> tailor your CV and cover letter for an application within 5 minutes, you
> also should be spending some time researching the company you are
> applying for.

Well, there's two schools of thought here.

You can spend weeks researching the company, analysing the job spec,
trying to distil what they're looking for, and finely crafting your CV
to match, and only then applying.

Or you can write the best CV you can, and just send it to as many people
as possible.

Currently I'm going with the latter approach. Most of the jobs I'm
applying for I probably don't stand a hope in hell of getting anyway, so
it seems wasteful to expend huge amounts of energy on something which is
probably futile.

I do make exceptions, of course. When I applied to Google, I spent weeks
customising my CV. (Then again, it's Google, the industry's best
employer.) But for the most part, I just send out lots of applications.
So far it's got me to two interviews, equalling my previous lifetime
best. And it's only been a few weeks...