POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Limbo : Re: Limbo Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:16:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Limbo
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 19 Sep 2012 13:47:46
Message: <505a0542@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 17:16:18 +0100, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:

>> Then *do* it.
>
> What makes you think I'm not doing it?

You've been out of work for how long now?  How many CVs have you sent
out?  How many interviews have you given?

>> That's not spending 8 hours a day working on finding something,
>
> What can you actually *do* for 8 hours straight, every single day, which
> will have any meaningful impact on your chances of finding work?

When's the last time you visited the job centre in your area?  Have you
been in touch with any of your former coworkers and asked them how their
searches are going?

> Seriously, if I did an Internet search and blindly applied for every
> single job that turned up [which is probably a bad idea], that would
> still only take, like, an hour or so. What are the other 7 for?

<sigh>  Again with the "Andy's world is not the same as everyone else's
world".

>> networking with people,
>
> How does this work? I don't really understand what "networking" is, or
> how it's useful. I sort of vaguely see the idea behind it, but that's
> about it.

"Hey, how are things going in your job search?  I was looking at a few
things myself and saw this posting that isn't a good fit for me, but I
thought you might be interested in it." (good for those who were let go
when you were).

Have you contacted any of the government auditors you worked with in
reviewing your former employer's compliance?  You did pretty good with
that, and they may remember that and know of a company that could use
your skills.

It's not like they'll arrest you for contacting them.  For that matter,
having prepared audits means you're well-positioned to conduct them as
well.

>> and considering all options carefully, and weighing the pros and cons
>
> Gotta find something to look at before you can weigh anything up.

ISTR you ruled out going to Oxford fairly quickly.  You ruled out London
fairly quickly - both based on the assumption that you'd have to go to
the office every day to work.  That's not a good assumption.

Jim