POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Limbo : Re: Limbo Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:12:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Limbo
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 19 Sep 2012 13:42:49
Message: <505a0419@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 17:09:56 +0100, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:

>> Yeah, two or three weeks getting paid.
>>
>> Oh, wait, no - my current contract started in July and runs through the
>> end of December.  Unless I can't count, that's more than 2-3 weeks.
>
> OK. But that still leaves you with the issue that come December, you
> have no idea if you'll ever get another contract with anyone ever again.

Which is why I keep my eyes and ears open for possible contract work
until December.  I expect by the end of November, I'll know what the next
gig is or if I have a full-time offer from my current client (which is a
possibility).

I also do my contracting through a third party, and she's also keeping me
in mind for upcoming jobs.  I've been doing this for a year now.

However, I'm also building a financial reserve so if I end up without
anything in January, I'm still able to pay the bills.

> Given that being unemployed is an extremely dangerous thing, why
> wouldn't you try to minimise the possibility of it happening?

Being unemployed isn't "dangerous" if you've managed your money
properly.  Of course one would try to minimise the possibility of it
happening, but things aren't always in your control, so you have to have
a contingency (such as building up a savings so you can keep paying the
bills while looking for the next gig).

>> So as is fairly common, you base your feeling on how something works
>> from a completely unrealistic view of how it actually works, and then
>> decide that it's not for you.
>
> I'm just saying. It's not like jobs grow on trees...

Certainly if you limit your scope unreasonably, you won't find anything.
If there's nothing local to you, you /have/ to (by necessity) increase
your scope or you will have a self-fulfilling prophecy - and it'll be
your own fault for limiting your options.

Jim