POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Fast Inverse Square Root explained : Re: Fast Inverse Square Root explained Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:25:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fast Inverse Square Root explained
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 17 Sep 2012 10:40:27
Message: <5057365b$1@news.povray.org>
On 17/09/2012 03:21 PM, scott wrote:
> It would be interesting to see how much it affected the speed first. If
> it was some significant speed-up with no visible loss in image accuracy
> then I suspect many people would be happy to install a custom/patched
> version to make use of the speed-up.

On the other hand, "everybody knows" that square root is a very
expensive operation, so people structure their code to avoid it as much
as possible. Thus, making it fast probably wouldn't have that much of a
drastic impact.

Then again, what do I know? I don't even understand how a Sturmian root
solver works!