POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Black Mesa : Re: Black Mesa Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:23:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Black Mesa
From: Darren New
Date: 16 Sep 2012 13:54:01
Message: <50561239$1@news.povray.org>
On 9/15/2012 23:18, Warp wrote:
> Since the SDK does not come with the game itself, I don't
> know how it could run without Steam.

What I'm told is that if it doesn't find the SDK, it downloads it during the
install process. (And I don't think Steam comes with the SDK - just the engine.)

In any case, I can't test that bit, since I already have Steam and all that
installed, and it installed just fine.

Oh, I see. When you install it, it winds up in your Steam library. The first
time you launch it from Steam, it says "Yo, there's a Steam update for you,
this 4.7G thing called 'SDK'." So it treats the SDK install like any other
Steam update. I Hadn't actually gotten around to trying it until I was
already replying here. :-)

The installer offered to let me launch it (as installers are wont to do) and
I wasn't running Steam, but I don't know if that would have started up Steam
or what. Maybe it doesn't install at all if you don't have Steam. It *did*
install directly into my (non-standard) Steam games storage directory on my
alternate non-C: drive, so maybe it doesn't even start installing if Steam
isn't around.

I don't know how (or if) it runs without one having an actual steam account.
I'm just repeating what I was told by others.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "They're the 1-800-#-GORILA of the telecom business."