POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bacon Number : Re: Bacon Number Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:27:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bacon Number
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 14 Sep 2012 16:14:19
Message: <5053901b@news.povray.org>
On 14/09/2012 08:02 PM, Warp wrote:
> Warp<war### [at] tagpovrayorg>  wrote:
>> I have no Bacon number because I have never acted in any movie. I have no
>> idea if I have an Erdos number, but it might be (I have contributed to some
>> minor publications of computing science, so there's a real possibility
>> of a chain of co-authors all the way to Erdos.)
>
> Btw, I most probably have a Shusaku number, and it might not even be very
> large, although I have no idea how large it might be (but I'd say there's
> a real possibility of it being smaller than 10.)

The interesting thing is, of all the people who have a defined Bacon
number, it's hardly ever larger than about 8. Similarly for the Erdos
number.

You would /think/ that what with Erdos being a great figure in
mathematics, having a lower Erdos number would be a great achievement.
But actually, it turns out that human networks are so densely connected
that almost every person can be connected to almost every other person
with a mere handful of links.

It's a bit like the Birthday Paradox - you'd think the distances would
be far bigger than they actually are...

(I'm sure I must have mentioned here a dozen times the title of the
rather interesting book I read on this subject...)