POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : OT: Fiddling with an idea regarding POV-Ray and Visual Studio ... : Re: OT: Fiddling with an idea regarding POV-Ray and Visual Studio ... Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:25:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: OT: Fiddling with an idea regarding POV-Ray and Visual Studio ...
From: scott
Date: 11 Sep 2012 11:57:13
Message: <504f5f59$1@news.povray.org>
> I wonder, then, what it would be like to put the VStudio shell on
> POV-Ray. I've been kind of playing with the isolated shell, and it's
> rather flexible. It would give those of us who are familiar with the IDE
> a means of working with POV-Ray that feels familiar.

I didn't realise it was possible to do this (I mead use the VStudio
shell for other things). But I always thought that editors have moved on
since the POV editor was written, and VStudio is pretty good.

Do you need any particular version to do this, I only have the free
express versions.

> * Being able to use VS2010's templates, and auto-complete suggestions to
> take some of the functionality of the insert menu. kind of like you can
> type sw<tab><tab> and it pops a template in the code, you fill in some
> blanks, and you're done!
>
> * The tooltips and such for parameters, etc.

This would be the most useful for me. Often I know the functionality
that I want and the object keyword to use, but have forgotten the exact
wording of the parameters (is it "max_trace" or "max_trace_depth" or
???). With tooltips you could just type "max" and then you'd get a
context-sensitive list of valid parameters with "max" in the name.

Would speed up scene development massively IMO.