POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Yellow Magic : Re: Yellow Magic Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:23:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Yellow Magic
From: clipka
Date: 7 Sep 2012 13:33:39
Message: <504a2ff3@news.povray.org>
Am 07.09.2012 19:08, schrieb Ive:
> Am 29.08.2012 14:19, schrieb clipka:
>> While that's certainly true, I guess even with rgb-specified colors it
>> will already do some good to scenes with colored transparent objects, so
>> that e.g. two orange filters in sequence won't necessarily exhibit a hue
>> shift towards red, but could retain the orange hue while just gaining in
>> saturation.
>>
> Hmm, could you give a simple example scene that shows this effect, as I
> cannot reproduce it or maybe I do get you wrong.

Well, take the amber glass in your scene for instance. I haven't tried,
but I'd take a bet that it would look pretty lame with any classic plain
RGB color model; however, I'm optimistic that you don't need real-life
spectral data for the material to get decent results, and that synthetic
spectra generated from sRGB triplets might suffice in many cases.

> Anyway I've created my spectral rendering rack and it is really fun. But
> I didn't use the idea of rendering 3 subsequent wavelength at once as I
> wanted also wavelength dependent IOR.

That's what dispersion is normally used for. With the proper settings
you could at least get 2 colors per pass even for the wildest
wavelength-to-ior mappings.

> The only limitation is that image maps cannot be used, everything else
> is almost as usual.
> I'll publish the whole mess when I've cleaned it up a bit, collected
> more wavelength data and have made a few more examples...

Looking forward to it.

> ....and here is one of my test scenes, rendering time for all 36 passes
> (I've decided to go from 380 to 730nm) about 1 hour and for the final
> composite pass 15 seconds.

Absolutely superb! This is what I'd call kick-ass colored glass :-)