POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Preparedness : Re: Analysis Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:27:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Analysis
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 7 Sep 2012 08:19:25
Message: <5049e64d$1@news.povray.org>
>> what are the chances of me getting hired for an obscure job that almost
>> nobody needs which I'm probably not even very good at?
>
> You're probably better off trying to get in to a large company as
> something vaguely IT related and then finding ways to show off your
> skills. That's often how it works.

Interestingly, the last two interviews I've been to have both been
companies that said "We're quite small, but we're growing. We think we
need more people, but we haven't really decided exactly what we want
yet." It /looks/ as if those are the sorts of places where you might be
able to dictate your own terms.

On the other hand, most small companies probably don't know who is or
isn't a rare find quite so well as a big company. And small companies
have no need to optimise tiny details of their operations; a small
improvement multiplied by a small number is a small profit. A small
improvement multiplied by a frickin' HUGE number represents a
substantial profit...