POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Preparedness : Re: Analysis Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:31:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Analysis
From: scott
Date: 7 Sep 2012 08:14:33
Message: <5049e529$1@news.povray.org>
> Those seem to me like the sort of things that get worked out, once and
> for all, and then maybe changed perhaps twice per decade. Not the sort
> of thing you hire a full time employee for.

 From my experience those sorts of things are always under continuous
development. Like there will be a list of additions and changes that is
never ending (because items are added faster than the people can
implement them). Again, part of the skill is trying to predict how
general to make the optimisation, as often the management won't be much
help (they'll come back and demand you implement some feature they
plainly said they would never ever want 3 months earlier).

> And for that matter, if I can't get employment as a computer programmer
> - something which is in great demand and which I am provably good at -

I think there's a difference between coding what someone else tells you
to, and coming up with the ideas yourself. I would have you'd be much
better (and find more enjoyable) the latter.

> what are the chances of me getting hired for an obscure job that almost
> nobody needs which I'm probably not even very good at?

You're probably better off trying to get in to a large company as
something vaguely IT related and then finding ways to show off your
skills. That's often how it works.