POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Preparedness : Re: Analysis Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:22:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Analysis
From: scott
Date: 7 Sep 2012 07:37:58
Message: <5049dc96@news.povray.org>
>> Planning bus routes, garbabe disposal truck routes, snow removal routes,
>> etc... are not exactly trivial.
>
> I didn't say it's /easy/, I said it isn't very /technical/. It's
> difficult for mundane, real-world reasons, not because the maths is hard.

The skills needed are how to translate the real world situation to a
mathematical model, and then knowing which tools to use to
optimise/solve it. Most of the time that is not trivial from a
mathematical point of view.

A very simple example is staff rotas, you have a certain number of staff
that all have contracted hours, you have a requirement for a certain
number of staff each hour each day, how to minimise overtime costs and
maintain enough cover? It's not the sort of thing you can solve in 5
minutes on Excel, or even write a trivial brute force search for (unless
you have a supercomputer). If you are able to save a few % of overtime
pay for a large company that equals lots of $$$.

Another example is which products to make on a production line. You know
the order numbers, the stock levels, how long it takes to change over
each cell/machine etc, what is the optimum pattern of production to
maximise profit?

Those seem to me like the sort of things you would be good at and enjoy.