POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Preparedness : Re: Analysis Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:25:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Analysis
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 6 Sep 2012 15:35:08
Message: <5048faec$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 06 Sep 2012 20:05:24 +0100, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:

>> research
>
> Seriously? That's a career? Talk about "vague"...

<sigh>

>> finance
>
> Wouldn't I need extensive finance qualifications to do that?

Being good with numbers is a qualification for being able to do finance,
and you're demonstrably good with numbers.

>> crypto/security
>
> Seriously, almost *nobody* actually does that.

Bullshit.  I'm presently working with two teams that are knee-deep in
crypto and security work.  Identity management, authentication, etc - all
use that extensively.

>> data mining
>
> Does anybody actually do that? I thought it was just a fashionable
> middle management buzzword.

Yes.  See "Business Intelligence".  Data-driven decision making is
something that a lot of businesses do, and they tend to be successful.

>> robotics
>
> Is there any commercial application for that?

Manufacturing uses robotics in a huge way.

>> communications
>
>  From what I've seen, installing comms equipment doesn't require a great
> deal of technical skill - you just need to be good at carrying stuff
> around and running cables.

I'll be sure to tell the highly-paid network engineers I've worked with
that you said that. ;)

>> marketing
>
> There's technical expertise in that?

Yes.  Writing marketing copy that actually convinces technical people
requires technical expertise.

>> disaster response
>
> What kind of disaster response requires technical skill?

Your data center has burned to the ground.  Recover it.

Yeah, that takes a lot of technical skill - and ability to use those
skills quickly to get the services running as soon as possible.

Jim