POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Preparedness : Re: Analysis Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:21:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Analysis
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 6 Sep 2012 15:05:21
Message: <5048f3f1@news.povray.org>
>> The thing is, I can't think of any career that makes use of an ability
>> to memorise and apply pointless algorithms...
>
> Off the top of my head:

> research

Seriously? That's a career? Talk about "vague"...

> finance

Wouldn't I need extensive finance qualifications to do that?

> crypto/security

Seriously, almost *nobody* actually does that.

>  logistics

Really? I'm sure it's difficult keeping track of stuff, but I don't see
much technical detail involved. It's just about keeping track of a lot
of stuff all at once. It's hard, but it isn't very technical.

> data mining

Does anybody actually do that? I thought it was just a fashionable
middle management buzzword.

> robotics

Is there any commercial application for that?

> communications

 From what I've seen, installing comms equipment doesn't require a great
deal of technical skill - you just need to be good at carrying stuff
around and running cables.

> marketing

There's technical expertise in that?

> disaster response

What kind of disaster response requires technical skill?

> management consulting (resource allocation), econonomics (micro and macro),
political
> consulting,...

I'm not even going to pretend to understand what any of those are.