POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Preparedness : Re: Analysis Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:20:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Analysis
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 6 Sep 2012 13:19:29
Message: <5048db21$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 06 Sep 2012 17:52:48 +0100, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:

> On 06/09/2012 04:55 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> On Thu, 06 Sep 2012 10:34:14 +0100, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
>>
>>> OK, so it's worse than I thought. It appears that not only did I not
>>> get the job, I didn't even make it to the second round of interviews.
>>
>> That happens a lot.  And there will be times where you might get to a
>> second and even a third interview and still not get the job.
>>
>> That's how this works.
>
> If I'd got through multiple rounds of assessment and not got the job, I
> could content myself that maybe I was only just beaten by this one other
> guy who had something slightly better.

I've gone through rounds where I was eliminated from consideration at the
first round as well.  It's not unusual.

You seem to think that this is unusual.  It isn't - this is how job
hunting works.

> On the other hand, what /actually/ happened is that I failed at the very
> first step. So apparently there were a shedload of people far better
> than me to choose from.

Yeah, and I've failed at the very first step as well several times in the
last 16 months.  It's how this works.  Your situation is not unique - far
from it, it's about as common a situation as people see.

>>> Looks like I might just be doomed to unemployment forever. :-(
>>
>> Oh, FFS, Andrew - I've not had full-time permanent work for 16 months.
>> You've been officially unemployed for what, a week?
>
> You demonstrably have skills that employers want. I don't. And that's
> what worries me. Nobody has ever employed me for real money before. I'm
> rather concerned that maybe nobody ever will.

You have skills - you aren't as good at presenting them largely because
you don't acknowledge your skills.  You look at what you can do and don't
think it's special because it's easy for you.

News flash:  Things that are easy for you aren't easy for other people.

>> Now, don't despair, just move on to the next interview - and the next,
>> and the next, until you find the right job.
>
> You're assuming that there will /be/ a next interview. IME, this is by
> no means certain.

Your experience is very limited.  There will be future interviews, and
you will find something - unless you just give up and declare it
impossible.  DON'T DO THAT.

Jim