POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Move with the times : Re: Move with the times Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:21:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Move with the times
From: Francois Labreque
Date: 5 Sep 2012 17:08:29
Message: <5047bf4d$1@news.povray.org>

> On 05/09/2012 02:57 PM, Francois Labreque wrote:
>> "Apps" are the software that you run on iThings.
>>
>> For example, the Wolfram Alpha app that you mentioned earlier.
>
> ...the Wolfram Alpha app I mentioned as an example of utter pointlessness?

Having a front-end client that sanitizes the user's input before sending
transactions back to the back-end server is NOT pointless when you are
dealing with devices that have limited (and/or expensive) bandwidth
capabilities, or small screen resolutions.

for example, on my phone, I could fire up the browser and access the
phone book web site, wait while it downloads the logos, ads, etc... and
then have to either zoom in and scroll all over the place to put the
person's name and city and then scroll some more until I get to the
"search" button, or I can use the app that acts as a front-end client
for the web site and is more suited to the 640x480 resolution of the
phone's screen.  I suspect the Wolfram app is similar.  (Disclaimer: I
may be wrong, as I haven't tried it.)

This being said, I freely admit that most apps are totally useless, for
example, there are many apps from store chains that will grab your
coordinates from the phone's embedded GPS, or by the location of the
tower it's communicating with, and tell you where the closest store is.
  Privacy concerns aside, I don't know of anyone who would want to have
their phone vibrate whenever they get in the vicinity of a particular
chain of clothing store.  Then again, I'm not a teenage girl!

>> There are
>> also word processors, spreadsheets, presentation packages, etc...
>
> How can you operate a word processor or a spreadsheet without a keyboard?

Magic!

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTWfurnBt-2DPkqVngr0dQE37Vj8xclsMZDmmuGo9_BR38Ne2-t

>> Who said the only thing you could do on a tablet was surf the net?
>
> I didn't say tablet, I said iPad.

And the iPad is what, in your opinion, if not a tablet?