POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Move with the times : Re: Move with the times Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:23:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Move with the times
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 5 Sep 2012 16:00:06
Message: <5047af46$1@news.povray.org>
>> It still troubles me that here in the 21st century, the only way to
>> actually measure a person's blood pressure is [still] to crush their arm
>> until no blood reaches it, and measure how much force it takes to do
>> that. o_O
>
> nope. There are things like finger blood pressure meters (finapres and
> similar). NOn invasive and continuous and therefore used e.g in the OR.

I know they can measure blood oxygen saturation with a finger clamp.
(After all, blood helpfully changes colour depending on its degree of
saturation, and human flesh is fairly transparent at optical
wavelengths.) But I'm not aware of any such system that can do this for
blood /pressure/ measurements.

> But the method you describe is the more easy and cheap one.
> Now you are unemployed I suggest you do your research before making any
> sweeping statement. ;)

In particular, I know a guy who has high blood pressure. The doctor has
given him this very expensive-looking piece of automated blood pressure
measurement equipment. Now why would anybody design such a complicated
and expensive apparatus if a simple finger clamp could do the same job
with a few light sensors?