POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Move with the times : Re: Move with the times Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:23:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Move with the times
From: scott
Date: 5 Sep 2012 12:05:03
Message: <5047782f$1@news.povray.org>
> I don't get why you would install an app which just displays the
> contents of a specific web page. I mean, isn't that what a web browser
> already does??

Some apps are like that (essentially just shortcuts to web pages,
perhaps with auto login and remembering certain settings etc.) which
isn't a problem, so long as they are free. Other apps do more useful
stuff though that isn't possible through a web page.

> It's like you can get those portable DVD players, which invariably have
> a 4-inch screen. Somehow, watching a picture that's so tiny you can
> barely make out the actors' faces just doesn't seem as enjoyable as
> watching it on a huge 40-inch display...

Hold your phone closer to your eyes then, Nokia have a full-HD
(1920x1080) phone in the pipeline/announced, so quality should be fine
for making out actors faces :-)

>> Also most web
>> pages recognise you're on a mobile device and give a different layout to
>> the desktop version.
>
> That sounds /highly/ unlikely...

But true, and some even prompt you to ask if you want to download their
mobile app (eg if you visit facebook).

> It's not minimal CPU power, no input devices other than a touch screen,
> and a fairly small display. What useful software could you possibly run?

Depends what you're interested in. Browse the google play store for ideas.