POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Move with the times : Re: Move with the times Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:24:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Move with the times
From: Francois Labreque
Date: 5 Sep 2012 09:57:47
Message: <50475a5b@news.povray.org>

> On 05/09/2012 11:06 AM, scott wrote:
>> You answered your own question, app is short for application, it's come
>> to be associated with small cheap applications that you download for
>> mobile devices though.
>
> Sure, I get where the name comes from. I don't get what the point is.

followed by:

>> Or if you're used to using a laptop, an iPad is going to be smaller
>> and lighter (and boot up much quicker).
>
> On the other hand, you can't run any software on it. You can just browse
> the Internet.

Reread those two snippets together a few times.  It will eventually sink in.

"Apps" are the software that you run on iThings.

For example, the Wolfram Alpha app that you mentioned earlier.  There
are also word processors, spreadsheets, presentation packages, etc...
with varying degrees of compatibility with Ms-Office.  Picture
manipulation apps.  Movie-making apps, inventory management tools,
games, etc...

Who said the only thing you could do on a tablet was surf the net?