POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Urk.. This is why I hate complex math... : Re: Urk.. This is why I hate complex math... Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:27:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Urk.. This is why I hate complex math...
From: scott
Date: 5 Sep 2012 04:49:35
Message: <5047121f$1@news.povray.org>
> So.. guess I am trying to work this out myself after all. lol

So what you're saying is the following are known:
Position and velocity of the top of the train over time (following a
pre-determined track at a pre-determined speed), call this point A.
Angular speed of the platform (but that will be taken into account in
point A, as presumably the whole track and train are rotating with the
platform)

And you want to find out how much the train swings sideways as point A
goes around this track?

I assume you're doing this at discrete time steps and just want a
solution to the current time step based on the data from the previous step?

In that case why not just model it as a point mass at B connected by a
suitably stiff spring to point A? Keep track of the position and
velocity of B and you can use normal numerical integration to update B
(there will be a gravity force and a spring force towards A). In your
graphics you can use the angle between the vertical and the line A-->B
to draw your train.

It may not be 100% physically accurate but much simpler than trying to
work through all the maths related to dynamics in a rotating reference
frame...