POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Move with the times : Re: Move with the times Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:23:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Move with the times
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 4 Sep 2012 13:30:36
Message: <50463abc$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 04 Sep 2012 13:20:12 -0400, nemesis wrote:

>> I don't see a paperless society in place.  Do you?
>
> I see a society hungry for greay meat junk food packed in paper carton.

Indeed that's true.

> Most people at workplace print like mad.  Doesn't matter that most of
> them can't read well let alone correctly interpret text.

LOL, I hear ya there.

> As for myself, I've been reading books like I've never read before ever
> since I bought a smartphone (soon enough on e-ink reader too).  I get my
> news from the web, not from newspaper.  I don't print documents, I read
> them on screen (also much better for the occasional copy-n-paste).  I
> pay most of my bills either with a credit card, online in the bank or
> with coins (bus).
>
> Signing perhaps is the only thing that still requires me handling paper
> in any significative way.

I sometimes will print documents out if I want to look at them in a
format larger than my screen can display - for example, a project I'm
working on right now involves redesigning documentation for a product to
make it more maintainable.  I'm using a mindmap to do the organization,
but to see the whole thing, I needed to print it out and assemble it in a
9x9 grid of 8.5x11" sheets.

Which of course is now outdated because I've made changes to the doc.

But I also find that even though I do a lot of authoring electronically,
it's still sometimes easier to mark up a hardcopy.

> can't speak for others, but I don't think most of my generation feel
> otherwise.

I know my stepson tends not to print stuff out - probably doesn't hurt
that he doesn't currently have a printer. :)

Jim