POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Maths related riddle : Re: Maths related riddle Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:29:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Maths related riddle
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 4 Sep 2012 09:00:25
Message: <5045fb69$1@news.povray.org>
On 04/09/2012 06:08 AM, Paul Fuller wrote:
> My son has a maths trivia / riddle sheet to complete and one question
> has us all stumped.
>
> The clue is "R is the D between the L and H S"

FWIW, this seems to me more like an exercise in English language riddles
than anything actually to do with mathematics. :-P

R and D could denote several quite plausible combinations. However, I'm
stumped for anything that would fit L and H S.

Nemesis offered H for hypotenuse, and indeed H S as hypotenuse squared
seems plausible. But then that doesn't fit with anything else for the
rest of the sentence.