POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Robot 2012 : Re: Robot 2012 Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:20:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Robot 2012
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 1 Sep 2012 10:21:45
Message: <504219f9$1@news.povray.org>
On 1-9-2012 14:35, Christian Froeschlin wrote:
> Thomas de Groot wrote:
>
>> What is the advantage of forward kinematics over inverse kinematics,
>> which is the usual way? (just curious).
>
> inverse kinematics are much more effort to implement. Basically in
> POV Ray terms you are doing forward kinematics all the time when you
> say something like {object ARM rotate 30*x}. Inverse kinematics means
> specifying where the hand should be and then automatically calculating
> the required rotations for all joints along the way.

OK. However (talking from memory when I used IK with Moray) the
advantage of IK is that you can position, say, the hand, and the arm and
upper body will follow (if you have written the code correctly), which
seems easier to me than starting from the upper body and going down to
the hand. Well, in this particular case of course. For weaving reed
stems for instance, I would prefer FK, or for just moving an arm + hand.

IK can be used in Poser too, by physically moving e.g. a hand to a
wanted position, everything else following smoothly. Often very tricky
to do, I must confess.

Thomas