POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Advice on rendering a topographic scene : Re: Advice on rendering a topographic scene Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:18:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Advice on rendering a topographic scene
From: clipka
Date: 31 Aug 2012 06:19:20
Message: <50408fa8@news.povray.org>
Am 31.08.2012 09:00, schrieb mathieu_r:
> What's the difference between an object emitting light using an emission media
> and a light which Looks_Like an object?

I'm referring to objects emitting light via the new "emission" finish
parameter (in POV-Ray 3.6, "ambient" would have been mis-used for that
purpose).

If the object is comparatively simple (such as a sphere) and/or not too
close to any surface, I'd recommend an area light with a looks_like
object, as it's usually faster, does work with highlights (phong or
specular), and doesn't necessarily need radiosity to work.

To use an object with an "emission" finish term you need radiosity, and
it's difficult to get highlight effects. OTOH it often gives more
realistic results if the emitting object is close to a surface and
comparatively complex.