POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Dominoes with subsurface{} : Re: Dominoes with subsurface{} Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:24:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dominoes with subsurface{}
From: clipka
Date: 30 Aug 2012 18:11:19
Message: <503fe507$1@news.povray.org>
Am 30.08.2012 21:51, schrieb Robert McGregor:

I really love to hear that.

> The only drawback is that the SSLT version took 60 times longer to render than
> the non-SSLT version. 20% of this extra time is for the SSLT calculations, but

> the SSLT.

That's not really true; say you have an SSLT marble floor, a huge area
light, and some object casting a shadow on the floor: If we'd ignore the
area light and treat it as a point light, we'd get quite a sharp shadow,
softened only by the marble's SSLT effect; this is because SSLT doesn't
/complement/ the classic diffuse surface mechanism, but /replaces/ it.

But there's indeed still room for optimization: For SSLT, we could get
away with much lower area light quality.

What area light settings did you use? I guess for your scene it'll make
a huge difference whether you're using "adaptive 1" or "adaptive 0".