POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Height_field clipped_by a box : Re: Height_field clipped_by a box Server Time
25 Jun 2024 23:24:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Height_field clipped_by a box
From: clipka
Date: 29 Aug 2012 06:20:22
Message: <503dece6$1@news.povray.org>
Am 29.08.2012 10:31, schrieb mathieu_r:
> Hi,
>
> Me again..
> Sorry if I post a lot..

That's what the newsgroups are there for :-)

> I wanted to clip a height_field by a box using clipped_by but it doesn't work

Can you be more specific about the "doesn't work" part?

The difference between intersection and clipped_by is that an
intersection will generate new surfaces where the original object is cut
apart, while clipped_by will let you look inside the object as if it was
just a hollow shell.

> However, intersection works. Intersection isn't the best, I think, for that
> purpose?

If it works, it works.

> clipped_by or bounding-by seems more convenient.

Do /not/ use bounded_by for such purposes. It is intended solely as a
hint for the renderer about how big (and where) a complicated object
actually is, to speed up finding the object's surface. Any attempt to
use it for shaping your object /will/ lead to unexpected results.