POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Yellow Magic : Re: Yellow Magic Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:25:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Yellow Magic
From: Christian Froeschlin
Date: 28 Aug 2012 20:20:44
Message: <503d605c$1@news.povray.org>
Ive wrote:

> Based on the stage design by art director Yukimasa Okumura

looks great even in srgb ;) (and my monitor would be too old anyway)

> The interesting and surprising thing is: I do even get more vibrant
> colors and a better preservation of subtle texture details when
> rendering within Adobe-RGB

Do I understand correctly that you define colors in adobe rgb,
manually convert them to "linear adobe rgb" (x^1/2.2), render in
povray using file_gamma 2.2, reinterpret the output using an
adobe rgb profile and then convert to srgb?

And that this gives significantly different results compared to
using "linear srgb" (for lack of better term) via "srgb x" (not
x^1/2.2) and rendering using file_gamma srgb?

Interesting ... but it may not be so surprising after all if your
input colors are at extreme limits. Consider a pigment of maximum
adobe rgb red <255/255, 0.0, 0.0>. If lighting causes the output pixel
to be <240/255, 0.0, 0.0>, it is still outside srgb gamut and may end
up with maximum saturation after conversion, whereas clipping the
input value to srgb yields an srgb output of <240/255, 0.0, 0.0>.

As a sanity check, have you tried rendering in adobe rgb but
using only input colors that are within srgb gamut?