POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Yellow Magic : Yellow Magic Server Time
5 Sep 2024 12:02:38 EDT (-0400)
  Yellow Magic
From: Ive
Date: 28 Aug 2012 15:22:13
Message: <503d1a65@news.povray.org>
Based on the stage design by art director Yukimasa Okumura for the YMO
performance in 1981.
I used an aged video tape (recorded from Japanese TV) as reference but
have actually seen them life at Budokan in 1983 ;)

This image is basically the result of experimenting with Adobe-RGB (and
it's wider gamut compared to sRGB) as working color space for rendering
within POV-Ray. As my monitor fully covers the Adobe-RGB gamut I can
visually design the colors and push them to the limits.
The interesting and surprising thing is: I do even get more vibrant
colors and a better preservation of subtle texture details when
rendering within Adobe-RGB and converting the final image to sRGB (by
using ICC profiles) compared to defining the colors already within sRGB
and rendering within sRGB. This was something that I did not expect and
after having rechecked my color management pipeline I think that indeed
the diffuse radiosity bounces do produce more vibrant and maybe more
realistic results within the wider gamut.

Sadly the JPEG compression does make things even worse for this kind of
image but anyway here is the (into sRGB converted) JPEG version - quite
poor compared to the full blown 1920x1200 uncompressed Adobe-RGB image
that I currently use as desktop background.

-Ive

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'yellow magic (small).jpg' (180 KB)

Preview of image 'yellow magic (small).jpg'
yellow magic (small).jpg