POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Preparedness : Re: Preparedness Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:13:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Preparedness
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 28 Aug 2012 12:06:29
Message: <503cec85$1@news.povray.org>
>> In summary, there are flexible programmers and inflexible ones. I would
>> argue that the flexible ones are the "good" ones - the ones that will
>> still be useful to you in the future if you decide to move your codebase
>> to some other platform. But hey, it's your enterprise; you decide. :-P
>
> Yes, it comes down to what the /need/ is and how well the candidate meets
> the need.

Well, yes, it does depend on what you need. And that no doubt depends
fairly specifically on your individual enterprise.

But what I'm really talking about here is the companies (i.e., almost
all of them) who screen out *all* applicants who do not have skill X
today, without even *speaking* to them to find out what other important
qualities they may or may not have.

This seems an extremely short-sighted approach to hiring.

>> (At least, that /would/ be my attitude if it weren't that *every*
>> enterprise sees only the value of whether you can write the type of code
>> they want /today/...)
>
> Well, no, that's not actually the case.  It may be what you've seen, but
> again, you're giving in to hyperbole and assuming that because you've
> talked to a small sample of companies who are looking for 'x' that that
> means that that's all anyone is looking for.

I've applied to several hundred jobs and looked at job descriptions for
several thousand jobs. That seems like a reasonable sample size to me...