POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Preparedness : Re: Preparedness Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:19:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Preparedness
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 28 Aug 2012 12:02:56
Message: <503cebb0$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 28 Aug 2012 16:57:11 +0100, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:

> Well, sure. I've certainly met people who can throw together crappy Java
> code, but would be /totally lost/ if they had to actually *learn* a new
> programming language. Like, it would take months if not years of
> training for them to do that.

Yep.

> And then there are other programmers who already know a dozen languages
> and can easily learn a bit of new syntax for another one.
>
> In summary, there are flexible programmers and inflexible ones. I would
> argue that the flexible ones are the "good" ones - the ones that will
> still be useful to you in the future if you decide to move your codebase
> to some other platform. But hey, it's your enterprise; you decide. :-P

Yes, it comes down to what the /need/ is and how well the candidate meets
the need.

> (At least, that /would/ be my attitude if it weren't that *every*
> enterprise sees only the value of whether you can write the type of code
> they want /today/...)

Well, no, that's not actually the case.  It may be what you've seen, but
again, you're giving in to hyperbole and assuming that because you've
talked to a small sample of companies who are looking for 'x' that that
means that that's all anyone is looking for.

Jim