POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Yet another SSLT test... : Re: Yet another SSLT test... Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:23:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Yet another SSLT test...
From: clipka
Date: 28 Aug 2012 09:42:48
Message: <503ccad8$1@news.povray.org>
Am 28.08.2012 14:43, schrieb Jaime Vives Piqueres:
> On 28/08/12 02:37, Alain wrote:
>> A 6x6 area light? Why not a 9x9 or even 17x17 or 33x33 using
>> adaptive 0? In this case, adaptive 0 don't realy risk to cause any
>> visible artefacts, and willbe much faster while giving you smoother
>> penumbras.
>
>    I've used always "jitter adaptive 1" for years... wouldn't "adaptive
> 0" shot more rays, thus being slower?

To the contrary: It typically shoots fewer of them, four in the ideal
case. The adaptive parameter isn't a boolean that turns adaptive on, but
a numeric value governing the minimum number of rays to shoot:

  0 -> 2x2
  1 -> 3x3
  2 -> 5x5
  3 -> 9x9
  4 -> 17x17
  N -> (2^N +1)x(2^N +1)

As for the 6x6 area light, if you use the "adaptive" keyword you'll
automatically get a 9x9 area light instead.