POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Lots of statistics : Re: C# Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:22:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: C#
From: Darren New
Date: 27 Aug 2012 21:54:24
Message: <503c24d0$1@news.povray.org>
On 8/27/2012 13:51, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
> Did I not already post a link to the on-going project to do precisely this?

I don't know. Honestly, I don't really memorize every Haskell feature you
talk about. :-)

> Sure. BASIC is a simple language. But it's the "wrong kind" of simple - the
> kind of simple that makes everything wickedly hard to do. Finding the right
> kind of simple? Well, that's pretty hard... But just throwing lots and lots
> of "features" at the problems? That's not really a very good solution.

It depends on your goals for the language. If everything looks the same, it
can be very difficult to understand some piece of code. Every time I see a
declaration of an event in C#, I know exactly what it's for and how it
works. I'm not sure the same semantics would be any simpler if it was in a
library, and I'm pretty sure you'd wind up with multiple subtly different
implementations of the same ideas, in a way that wouldn't work together.
(Which is exactly what happened to every other such language, inclulding
LISP, Tcl, and FORTH.)

The advantage of having the "normal" stuff built in is that everyone tends
to use it in preference to one-off functionality in libraries.

For example, FORTH does not have directories, or even files. What's the
likelihood that you take a disk from one FORTH-like implementation and plug
it into another FORTH-like implementation and you'll be able to use it?

Remember that the vast amount of difficulty in software engineering in at
least the business world is the vast numbers of simple interactions with
other systems. My program (www.google.com/ads/agencyedge/) for example looks
simple. But it uses... let's see... at least nine languages off the top of
my head, interacts with 14 services that I know of, oh wait add another 10
or 12 just to run the damn thing and another five or six languages
describing where to run it and how to let people connect and such... It's
all pretty straightforward stuff. There's not a single thing out there I'd
call "an algorithm." No complex data structures. The hardest individual bit
of code I've worked out is a distributed processing queue that handles
failures of processes in progress, on top of a system that offers nothing
but atomic updates. But nevertheless, it's interacting with literally dozens
of custom servers (not even counting java libs, the kernel, etc.)  *That* is
the problem your language has to solve for it to not be a niche language.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Oh no! We're out of code juice!"