POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Lots of statistics : Re: C# Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:19:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: C#
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 27 Aug 2012 16:51:31
Message: <503bddd3$1@news.povray.org>
>> STM is implementable as an external 3rd party library. (I have personally
>> done this.) And yet, it works beautifully.
>
> OK, now without changing the interface, make it work across process
> address space boundaries. Make it work with machines across the network.

Did I not already post a link to the on-going project to do precisely
this? (It only "changes the interface" in that it exposes a way to say
where you want stuff computed.)

>> Just because something isn't hard-wired, doesn't mean it has to work
>> badly or be hard to use.
>
> No. But just because it's simple and elegant doesn't mean it's easy to
> use, either.

Sure. BASIC is a simple language. But it's the "wrong kind" of simple -
the kind of simple that makes everything wickedly hard to do. Finding
the right kind of simple? Well, that's pretty hard... But just throwing
lots and lots of "features" at the problems? That's not really a very
good solution.