POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Urk.. This is why I hate complex math... : Urk.. This is why I hate complex math... Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:27:14 EDT (-0400)
  Urk.. This is why I hate complex math...
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 26 Aug 2012 16:53:15
Message: <503a8cbb$1@news.povray.org>
I am looking at a situation in the future where I plan to simulate an
entire area that is rotating, like a big drum. This will be done by
simply having the wall texture on the entire outer surface drift, as
though its spinning. But, I also want to place a suspended rail tram in
there, and have it react (sadly, due to the limits of the system, only
with one angle, since I can't have more than one pivot point), as though
its being effected by the rotation, as well as its changes in momentum.
I am presuming that the math for this has to be:

http://www.myphysicslab.com/pendulum_cart.html#navsite

But.. then I run into a problem... Basically, I am not sure what the
frak is going on there...

Biggest issue is, there is a lot of stuff in it that won't help me.
Friction.. Well, no, the cart isn't going to be controlled via "forces",
its running a plotted course, so half the stuff in the "force of the
cart" part is just flat out meaningless. Then there is the fact that my
force calculations need to be only the force that its being applied "at
that moment" in one direction, two 3D vectors. That one is going to give
me issues, as it is. But, maybe I can direct substitute it in as F, or
something. Do I assume the cart mass itself is 0? Why can't there ever
be a simple, "Someone did this once, for a very similar situation, so
here is the math, and all you need to do in integrate the other rotation
thing you are doing." You know, instead of googling, and getting page
after page of descriptions, without math, of the things, or articles on
control systems, without math, for them, or just about anything other
than an explanation of how the frak it works in a real world, 3D
situation. lol

At the very least, some idea what I can/should do to cut extraneous data
out of the equations I do have, would be helpful. I am just real glad
the "pendulum" is going to be "one directional" just like the example,
and not with two axis of rotation, like.. a lot of them have.