POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Lots of statistics : Re: C# Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:31:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: C#
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 26 Aug 2012 04:51:34
Message: <5039e396$1@news.povray.org>
> You keep asserting that it's easier in Haskell to do some of these
> things than it is in Erlang or C#. But you've yet to actually provide
> any evidence of this beyond vigorous assertions.

And you keep asserting that Haskell is a bad language, without much
evidence either. :-P

Erlang is /obviously/ much better at hot code swapping than Haskell
currently is. This is not in debate. But you keep asserting that Haskell
/can never/ be as good as Erlang. Because it's somehow /impossible/ for
somebody to come up with a Haskell implementation that does what Erlang
does. You still haven't explained why that is.

Likewise, C#.Net gives you access to the entire .Net platform library.
This has vastly more functionality than what's available for Haskell.
This is because C# is MORE POPULAR than Haskell, and NOT because Haskell
is badly designed.

My argument was never about how much external stuff is available for
Haskell. My argument was that Haskell is a clean, simple language that
manages to solve the same problems that other languages can only solve
using a vast swathe of complicated "features" hard-wired into the language.

C# has methods and inheritance and subtype polymorphism and dynamic
dispatch and delegates and lambda abstractions and broken multiple
inheritance and reflection and... Haskell just has first-class
functions. Solves all of the above, with a fraction of the complexity.
It's simpler to explain, it's simpler to use, it's simpler to read.
That's what I'm talking about.