POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Lots of statistics : Re: C# Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:29:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: C#
From: Darren New
Date: 25 Aug 2012 23:36:14
Message: <503999ae$1@news.povray.org>
On 8/20/2012 4:02, Invisible wrote:
> Object-oriented programming was supposed to make everything polymorphic and
> wonderful.

Uh, no.

> But then they discovered the container problem, so they invented
> generics.

The container problem you describe is only a problem for statically typed
languages.

> they decided that having eight-billion interfaces like "Runnable",
> "ScrollEventListener", "DragEventListener", "CheckBoxEventListener" and so
> on was just stupid.

It was always stupid, and most languages don't need that.

> So Eiffel invented "agents", C# invented "delegates",
> and Java offered the "reflection API"; all of them different attempts to
> solve the same language design problem.

The reflection API has nothing to do with delegates or agents. Indeed, C#
has a reflection API also.

> This is the kind of stuff I'm talking about. All these different languages,
> all with lots and lots of "features" for trying to solve stuff. And then
> there's Haskell, which consists of just 6 constructs in the entire language,
> and solves all of it.

And Smalltalk, which also solves all of it with the same level of
constructs. But the stuff you're complaining about in C# isn't the core
language either. Threads and the reflection API aren't part of the "core
language" of C# either.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Oh no! We're out of code juice!"