POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Preparedness : Re: Preparedness Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:22:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Preparedness
From: Francois Labreque
Date: 25 Aug 2012 08:34:27
Message: <5038c653$1@news.povray.org>

> Likewise, when an IT manager wants to hire a C# programmer, the first
> thing they do is throw away all the CVs that don't say C# on them
> somewhere.

No.  Having had to do some serious recruiting before, I can tell you
that this is not the case.  The IT manager will know that someone who
has a lot of C, C++ or Java experience will be able to pick up on C#
rather quickly.  The HR person who receives all the CVs and doesn't know
the difference between C#, CICS/IMS, and TCP/IP apart from the fact that
"they're both buzzwords the IT folks use" is the one who will only send
the ones that have "C#" in them to the IT manager.

My girlfriend in the late 90s was that HR person.  She had to review
hundreds of CVs every week for the various Y2K projects her employer was
driving, and she would come home at night with dozens CVs that she would
put in different piles after going through them for 3-4 seconds each.
"Blah blah blah DB/2 blah blah Oracle ... ok this one goes in the DBA
pile", "Blah blah pc support blah blah linux blah blah Solaris blah ...
This one's for the Unix pile", etc...

I once joked to her that I would pirnt my CV under an assumed named and
would love to see in which pile i ended up.