POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : 10 years of trucking : 10 years of trucking Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:23:58 EDT (-0400)
  10 years of trucking
From: Invisible
Date: 24 Aug 2012 08:13:31
Message: <50376feb$1@news.povray.org>
I've been working here for about 10 years now (nearly to the exact
month). All that time, I've been driving up and down the M1 to get here.
In that time, I've seen some interesting stuff written on trucks and
lorries.

Some of them say unremarkable stuff like "Eddie Stobart" or "Fagin &
Whalley". But some of them say stuff which is humorous, bizarre or just
downright unpronounceable. Stuff like...

   RAMAGE DISTRIBUTION ("We don't just deliver your stuff, we RAM it!")
   C. Butt Ltd. (Seriously?)
   Norbert Dentressangle (WTF?)
   Schmitz Cargobull (...)
   PANIC! (Not a great name for a distribution company, no?)
   Emo Oil (Seriously? You make oil out of depressed people?)

While we're on the subject, some companies seem to have really
self-limiting names. For example, "Northampton Drain Piping". OK,
seriously? That's your company name? And when you decide to branch out
into other products that aren't drain /pipes/ (e.g., fittings), you're
going to have a bit of a problem, aren't you? Or when you start trying
to sell in another region. Or basically when your product changes in any
way - because your product IS YOUR NAME! Fools... :-P

I also loved that Shell tanker that says on it "empowering a greener
future"... and on the back of the lorry is a sign depicting the
environmental catastrophe that would occur if the contents were to be
spilled.

Mawdsleys is amusing for having a name and logo that are almost exactly
identical to Mates, the well-known condom brand. Way to go there, guys!

For some reason, the most worrying thing I've ever seen written is
"non-hazardous product". You would /think/ this would be a good thing...
but somehow, it disturbs me.