POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Death of a harddrive : Re: Death of a harddrive Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:32:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Death of a harddrive
From: Invisible
Date: 21 Aug 2012 05:02:42
Message: <50334eb2@news.povray.org>
On 17/08/2012 03:25 PM, Invisible wrote:
> It will be interesting to see if there's anything left by Monday. My
> college thinks it will have been reduced to sludge by then. I suspect
> it'll still be in once piece, just slightly corroded around the outside.

Well, the results are in:

The drive is now somewhat corroded, and most of the paint is missing.
The circuit board probably won't work again. But other than that, the
drive is more or less completely unharmed. Apparently soaking it in a
vat of acid for 4 days is /not/ sufficient to dissolve the entire thing
down to the platters. :-P