POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Lots of statistics : Re: C# Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:18:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: C#
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 19 Aug 2012 06:13:49
Message: <5030bc5d$1@news.povray.org>
>> You wouldn't be able to do this for arbitrary code.
>
> And that's what I'm talking about. If you want your program to run 15
> years without ever stopping, you pretty much need to be able to replace
> arbitrary bits of code, including type signatures, while you're running.

And if this was a problem for your application, you would write it in
such a way as to facilitate doing this.

Yes, it would be cooler if you could do it for /arbitrary/ code, but
with extant implementations, you'd have to do the next best thing.

(And, again, if somebody wanted this, you could probably come up with a
Haskell implementation that supports it natively. It's just that nobody
has. It would take some design work, but I think you could do it without
changing the language itself.)

>> But if you insert a
>> suitable layer of indirection, it wouldn't be too hard. Haskell supports
>> first-class functions, after all. You can do crazy things with stuff like
>> continuation-passing and so on.
>
> Sure, and Erlang translates into machine code instructions at some
> point. Or hell, implement an Erlang interpreter in Haskell. This isn't
> an argument. :-)

Implementing an Erlang interpreter in BBC BASIC would be hellishly
difficult. Doing it in Haskell wouldn't be all that hard. That's the
difference.