POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Dominoes with subsurface{} : Re: Dominoes with subsurface{} Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:21:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dominoes with subsurface{}
From: clipka
Date: 19 Aug 2012 01:30:54
Message: <50307a0e$1@news.povray.org>
Am 18.08.2012 23:59, schrieb Robert McGregor:

> I realize SSLT it's still quite experimental and I've played with it quite a
> bit, but finally decided that subsurface just doesn't yet work properly when
> dealing with complex textures, especially regarding the pigment block. For a
> simple candle it looks nice (or your dominoes), but having the subsuface color
> in the finish block seems to override anything in the pigment block, with is
> pretty much unusable for standard scenes. Also, I've had a lot trouble using it
> with radiosity and finally gave up. It also seems to exclude anything other than
> the subsurface block within a finish block, so reflections, specular, etc. don't
> work quite right either.
>
> Maybe Christoph can set us straight on these points with some new example
> scenes... eh, Mr. Lipka?

When was the last time you tried?

Early SSLT parameterization did indeed use two very low-level color
coefficients that fully determined the object colour, overriding the
pigment block; this is no longer true however (at least it shouldn't
be), as the two coefficients are now automatically computed from the
classic pigment and a "translucency" color parameter.

Likewise, there was a time when SSLT did not account for indirect
illumination, but this, too, has been changed, and it does use radiosity
by now.

As for all the other stuff in the finish block - yes, IIRC there also
was a time when SSLT did not play nice with them, but that's been a
while as well.

Bottom line: If it has been a while since you last tried SSLT, I'd like
to encourage you to play around with it once again.