POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Approval of vigilantism and murder : Re: Approval of vigilantism and murder Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:21:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Approval of vigilantism and murder
From: Darren New
Date: 18 Aug 2012 13:33:38
Message: <502fd1f2@news.povray.org>
On 8/18/2012 9:40, Warp wrote:
> Doesn't the American judicial system grant the judge the right to veto
> the jury's decision if it's clearly against the law? (In other words,

Only in the direction of innocence. If the jury says the defendant is guilty
and the judge determines that the evidence wasn't sufficient for that
decision, the judge can set it aside.

In particular, each law has a set of things you have to do to have violated
that law. For example, say that to be convicted of burglary, you have to
have been on someone else's property, you have to have taken something
movable, and you have to have left the property with it. If the prosecution
doesn't present at least some evidence for each of those, then the
prosecution doesn't even have "prima facia" (initial on-the-face) evidence.
So if the jury comes back and says guilty, then the judge can say "but
nobody even claimed he took anything" or "nobody even claimed he went in the
other person's house."   Of course, this is rather rare.  I'd suspect it
only happens in situations of weird politically-motivated trials, like
Assange might have or something.

On the other hand, if the jury comes back and says not guilty, the judge
can't say "well, *I* think he's guilty, so off he goes."  The jury said he
didn't do at least one of the things on that list, so he's innocent, and
it's the jury's job to make that decision, not the decision of the judge.

The judge can throw it out, because he can decide it was essentially a trial
that never should have happened given the amount of evidence the prosecution
lawyer was able to present. The judge can't say "sorry, jury is wrong and
he's really guilty", but he can say "sorry, jury is wrong and they never
should have heard any of this in the first place."

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Oh no! We're out of code juice!"