POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Sound Cloud : Re: Sound Cloud Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:22:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sound Cloud
From: Warp
Date: 18 Aug 2012 07:28:50
Message: <502f7c71@news.povray.org>
Le_Forgeron <jgr### [at] freefr> wrote:
> Le 18/08/2012 12:37, Eero Ahonen nous fit lire :
> > Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
> >>
> >> This reminds me of that time I looked at the Apache logs for my website,
> >> and there were 13 hits from Lynx. You know, the text-mode web browser
> >> that nobody ever uses. Like, WTF?
> >
> > Lynx is very practical for scripting things :).

> Another interest of Lynx is the easier interface with blind-enable
> computer device (such as transcription of text in Braille, or vocal
> synthesis)

I downloaded the .ogg file directly with mplayer. I don't know what kind
of UA string it sends, but it ought to look interesting.

Nowadays it's rarer and rarer to need a text-based browser, but it used to
be much more common in the past. Many servers don't even have a display
card at all, and the only way to do anything with them is with either a
dumb terminal or connecting remotely. Of course nowadays your "terminal"
would usually be a regular PC that you can use to run a normal graphical
browser, but this might not have been the case in the past. (Also, there
*might* be some circumstances where you need to run a browser in-situ,
directly from the server, and the only connection type you have to it
is ssh. Lynx or w3m are the tools for this.)

--
                                                          - Warp