POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : 3.7rc6 on Raspberry PI, with/without openexr image artifacts : Re: 3.7rc6 on Raspberry PI, with/without openexr image artifacts Server Time
17 May 2024 07:21:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3.7rc6 on Raspberry PI, with/without openexr image artifacts
From: Dave
Date: 17 Aug 2012 19:26:03
Message: <502ed30b$1@news.povray.org>
On 8/17/2012 5:45 PM, clipka wrote:
> I've just ordered one of those tiny little brats myself to further
> investigate the issue. Don't hold your breath though - delivery is
> estimated to take 15 weeks.

Ouch... I thought they'd ramped up production by now. I got two of them
at the end of July.

Be sure to use a decent regulated power supply. Initially my brother and
I were using a phone charger. He had reliability issues with his when he
used various USB peripherals (BTW, except for video/sound/wired
ethernet, you need USB peripherals). He suspects that the voltage drops
enough under load that the RPi had issues. I am still on the charger but
I've only got a usb wireless kbd/mouse dongle plugged in and am using
wired ethernet. It >is< an interesting little toy!

Oh, and use a fast SD card. I found a $20 32G HP class 10 SDHC on amazon
and it's working fine. As it is though, it takes about 6.5 hours to
compile povray. It's like 1990 and a 386! :-)

Anyway, as far as the FP unit -- I'm sure that it's using "hardware
floating point" but >I< couldn't define that precisely.

Good luck.