POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : 3.7rc6 on Raspberry PI, with/without openexr image artifacts : Re: 3.7rc6 on Raspberry PI, with/without openexr image artifacts Server Time
17 May 2024 07:20:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3.7rc6 on Raspberry PI, with/without openexr image artifacts
From: clipka
Date: 17 Aug 2012 18:46:06
Message: <502ec9ae$1@news.povray.org>
Am 18.08.2012 00:14, schrieb Dave:

>    20.2.1 An IEEE 754 standard-compliant implementation
>    The VFP11 hardware and support code together provide VFPv2
> floating-point instruction implementations that are compliant with the
> IEEE 754 standard. Unless an enabled floating-point exception occurs, it
> appears to the program that the floating-point instruction was executed
> by the hardware. If an exceptional condition occurs that requires
> software support during instruction execution, the instruction takes
> significantly more cycles than normal to produce the result. This is a
> common practice in the industry, and the incidence of such instructions
> is typically very low.
>
> Since the RPi runs Debian Linux (the 'Wheezy' version? I'm not familiar
> enough with Linux to tell you what that means). Anyway, the package
> repositories are not built expressly for the RPi but for 'armhf' (again,
> I can't tell you what that means). What I would deduce from this is that
> from a programmer's viewpoint, IEEE floating point is supported,
> otherwise there would need to be special ports of math-related software
> for the RPi -- and there are not.

That's all nice to read, but /something/ must be going wrong, and I
still suspect the floating point arithmetics (if only because of the
difference that openEXR makes).

I've just ordered one of those tiny little brats myself to further
investigate the issue. Don't hold your breath though - delivery is
estimated to take 15 weeks.