POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : 3.7rc6 on Raspberry PI, with/without openexr image artifacts : Re: 3.7rc6 on Raspberry PI, with/without openexr image artifacts Server Time
17 May 2024 06:50:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3.7rc6 on Raspberry PI, with/without openexr image artifacts
From: Dave
Date: 17 Aug 2012 18:14:38
Message: <502ec24e$1@news.povray.org>
On 8/17/2012 3:40 PM, clipka wrote:
> Are you sure the ARM does support full double-precision IEEE floating
> point arithmetics?

 From the Raspberry PI site (http://www.raspberrypi.org), the FAQ contains:

   What SoC are you using?

   The SoC is a Broadcom BCM2835. This contains an ARM1176JZFS, with
floating point, running at 700Mhz, ...

Not sure what a "SOC" is, but a Google for 'ARM1176JZFS' leads to:

http://infocenter.arm.com/help/topic/com.arm.doc.ddi0301h/DDI0301H_arm1176jzfs_r0p7_trm.pdf

which is 'ARM1176JZF-S Revision r0p7 Technical Reference Manual'. In
that manual it states (page 20.3, item 20.2.1):

   20.2.1 An IEEE 754 standard-compliant implementation
   The VFP11 hardware and support code together provide VFPv2
floating-point instruction implementations that are compliant with the
IEEE 754 standard. Unless an enabled floating-point exception occurs, it
appears to the program that the floating-point instruction was executed
by the hardware. If an exceptional condition occurs that requires
software support during instruction execution, the instruction takes
significantly more cycles than normal to produce the result. This is a
common practice in the industry, and the incidence of such instructions
is typically very low.

Since the RPi runs Debian Linux (the 'Wheezy' version? I'm not familiar
enough with Linux to tell you what that means). Anyway, the package
repositories are not built expressly for the RPi but for 'armhf' (again,
I can't tell you what that means). What I would deduce from this is that
from a programmer's viewpoint, IEEE floating point is supported,
otherwise there would need to be special ports of math-related software
for the RPi -- and there are not.