POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : 3.7rc6 on Raspberry PI, with/without openexr image artifacts : Re: 3.7rc6 on Raspberry PI, with/without openexr image artifacts Server Time
17 May 2024 03:32:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3.7rc6 on Raspberry PI, with/without openexr image artifacts
From: clipka
Date: 17 Aug 2012 16:40:31
Message: <502eac3f$1@news.povray.org>
Am 17.08.2012 20:28, schrieb Dave:
> I built pov 3.7 rc6 beta on my Raspberry PI.
>
> The first time I built, openexr was enabled by default; the second time
> I built with '--without-openexr'. For each build I ran povray on the
> biscuit.pov file as done by 'make check'. Perhaps this is by design, but
> when built with openexr, the 8-bit color PNG exhibits weird artifacts. I
> would expect to see this if I used '+fn16' (I actually used +fn) and
> pnginfo displays the same info for both PNG's:

This is definitely /not/ by design; whether you build with openEXR or
not should be irrelevant unless you actually try to use openEXR in- or
output.

The only reason I can think of why disabling openEXR /does/ make a
difference is that it is a file format based on some special
"half-precision" floating point data type; maybe enabling openEXR also
causes the CPU's floating point module to be switched into a different
mode, where some computation errors become more prominent.

Are you sure the ARM does support full double-precision IEEE floating
point arithmetics?

> For you information, when I first got the Raspberry PI up and running, I
> ran an ancient program 'paranoia.c' which tests floating point accuracy.
> The program can still be found here:
>    http://www.netlib.org/paranoia/paranoia.c
> The program reported no abnormalities on the Raspberry PI, so I would
> expect that the PNG's produced by both x86 and arm (--without-openexr)
> would be >close< to identical. But they are not...?

I have no idea what that program actually tests - not to mention that
you might have compiled it with totally different floating point mode
settings.