POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Death of a harddrive : Death of a harddrive Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:25:43 EDT (-0400)
  Death of a harddrive
From: Invisible
Date: 17 Aug 2012 10:25:25
Message: <502e5455$1@news.povray.org>
So, we put an old Maxtor harddrive in a glass measuring beaker, and
stood it in one of our fume cupboards.

We poured nitric acid on it. Nothing.

The guy opened a bottle of sulphuric acid, which was smoking slightly.
Pour some of that in... a tiny amount of fizzing. That's about it.

So we stand at look at it for a moment. And then my college decides to
add a little hydrochloric acid.

Woah... I'm not sure what the chemistry of this is, but now it's foaming
like hell, and there's huge clouds of dark brown smoke coming off it.
Uh, yeah, I think we close the fume hood now...

After a few minutes it eventually stopped fizzing. There's still some
kind of brown vapour issuing from it though. And the black paint is
slowly falling off, revealing the dully silver metal beneath.

It will be interesting to see if there's anything left by Monday. My
college thinks it will have been reduced to sludge by then. I suspect
it'll still be in once piece, just slightly corroded around the outside.